Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Smart, easy ways to cut household expenses

HW here!

Tonight, just before my husband went to bed, he and I discussed the small changes we have made in our lives over the past few months that have really made a difference. I thought to myself, "what better place to share these tips than on the blog?", so, alas, here I am!
And, here are the tips from myself and my husband!:

1. For men: Let your spouse cut your hair or do it yourself. It's super easy. Sure, you might not look glamorous but if either of you are any good with a set of clippers, you can master a nice, clean cut looking 'do without losing all of your locks!
Note: My husband and I save $20 a MONTH by doing this! That's $240/year! 

2. For women: Trim your own dead-ends. Splurge and invest in a good set of trimming scissors from your local beauty supply store and get take care of those dead ends yourself!
Note: My husband trims my dead ends for me and has even cut my hair twice (successfully, too!). I have curly, thick, coarse hair. I need to get it trimmed and reshaped once a month in order to keep it looking nice. We save another $20/month by doing this!

3. Nix the paper towels. I know every one of you out there have at least 2 old t-shirts you would willingly donate to a thrift store. Why not cut it up (or just tear it!) and use the rags for cleaning your kitchen counters and wiping your hands after doing the dishes? Take old wash cloths, towels and socks (use like a glove) and use them to clean surfaces such as bath tubs, sinks and even tile.
 Note: My husband and I buy one-two rolls of paper towels a month, whereas before we were spending almost $10 a month on paper towels. I hardly have a load of rags to wash on a weekly basis!

4. Make your own facial wipes. This is painfully simple! For facial wipes (to remove make-up, dirt, etc. on older children and adults), add a teaspoon of facial wash to a cup of water, then add a teaspoon of your moisturizer to the water. Mix and pour over rags of your choice (I'd recommend cut up paper towels if you are going the disposable route, and cut up receiving blankets if you are going the reusable route - I use cloth!) and store them in an airtight container. You can use up to a roll of paper towels or 30-40 thin rags per cup of solution. Use within 10 days, or put solution into a spray/squirt bottle, apply to your cloth/paper towel and clean your face that way. I have an alternative solution "recipe" on a previous D.I.Y. post.
Note: I have had less break outs since beginning my D.I.Y. facial cloth adventure! I am happy to report that my skin looks wonderful!

5. Make your own body scrub. Most women I know spend tons of money on skin softening products. I don't! I refuse to. Instead, I bought a big bottle of extra virgin olive oil and a bag of RAW cane sugar. Voila! Body scrub that will last a year! You can either make it as needed or in several batches and store in air tight containers at room temperature for a month or two at a time.
Note: Let the scrub sit (hands/body/feet) for a bit before rinsing. Your skin will glow!

Enjoy!
HW

No comments:

Post a Comment